Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,322
Like?
D7000 + SB-700 Commander mode question
May 27, 2012

Sorry to ask a noobish newbie question, but I've run out of answers to my problem.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who specifically have the D7K and SB-700 in the event it comes down to having to actually try out what I'm having difficulty understanding.

Typical scenario .... Averaged sized room .... living room for the sake of this discussion. If I have ISO set to .... say.... 200 and take a shot across the room with the on board flash at 18mm FL .. the result (for the sake of this discussion) will be a well exposed shot. If put the SB-700 on the cam and take the same shot, (for the sake of this discussion) the result will be the same, a nicely exposed shot.

Here is what I'm confused about. If I put the camera in commander mode and set the cameras built in flash to "--" (Built in flash does not fire) and take the same shot holding the SB-700 right beside the camera ... the resulting shot is underexposed .... The SB-700 fires, it's like as if the camera's metering system works differently when the flash is off the camera vs mounted. Is this the way it's supposed to operate?

Thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow