Anyone who owns D700 also owns X-pro 1, is it worth it,......

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Syracuse
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: Anyone who owns D700 also owns X-pro 1, is it worth it,......
In reply to lnbolch, May 27, 2012

lnbolch wrote:

Syracuse wrote:

I have D700, 24-70, 70-200VR2, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G. I mainly take pictures on portraits, and events, for my daughter, school and family events. I enjoy the image quality of D700, its accurate autofocus, beautiful bokeh on 70-200, 50, and 85. But due to its weight and size, I could not take them with me everyday, and it's kind of weird, too.

I have the trio of D700, X100 and X-Pro1. Retired now, after a long career as a full-time working photographer.

I read from this forum, saw lots of praises on X-pro 1, but some complaints, too. So, is x-pro 1 worthy of the money ? Its image quality, bokeh, and obviously, the size and weight is worthy of the $3000 (x-pro 1, 35, 60) ? That amount of money could get me 2 fantastic lenses of Nikon, like 14-24 f2.8 and 135 f2. Because it's a big investment, so I would like to be convinced by experts here. Thanks.

During the film era, when the shift was over, I—and most every other shooter I knew—did not want to spend our off hours lugging heavy pro equipment. I carried a number of small rangefinder cameras with the Konica S3 being my all time favorite. It had a built-in 35mm f/1.8 lens capable of publication quality images. This was lacking for the first decade and a half of the digital era, but the X100 was exactly what I was hoping for. Fuji announced it as "a personal camera for professional photographers", and they could not have been more honest. It is a clearly defined design, that assumes the user understands photography and can learn a new camera. It has no training wheels whatever. Casual users who purchased it found it maddening. I never go out my door without it. It is absolutely silent with its leaf-shutter and will sync to 1/2000th of a second for the best fill flash on earth.

Most of my shooting now is people in ambient light, and travel. The D700 is great when working from a vehicle or in a fixed location. Exploring a city on foot and my knees quickly begin to scream. For people-photography it is big and noisy, with no stealth-factor whatever. However, it is unmatched in its versatility and when new was the ultimate camera for ambient-light/available-darkness shooting.

Clearly what I wanted was a light, excellent walkin'-'round, shootin'-stuff camera with a high-degree of stealth and superb image quality. When the other two lenses arrive, the whole kit will only weigh 967g. The D700 body alone is 995g! From the very beginning, I shot with both SLRs and rangefinder/viewfinder cameras, so have rangefinder technique and experience. In spite of no hardware rangefinder, the camera is what the Contax G2 would have grown into as a digital camera. The 35mm Fujinon is amazingly sharp and contrasty even at f/1.4. Comparing a D700 and XP1 shot at ISO25,600, it is pretty much a wash. If anything, the XP1 is less problematic.

"the XP1 is less problematic" --- could you explain more on this ? Thanks.

So,you meant at ISO 25600, D700's performance is not as good as XP1 ? How about from 3200-12800 ? Thanks.
Beside the ISO, how about image quality between these 2 ? Thanks.

With a year of shooting the X100, going to the XP1 presented no learning curve beyond becoming familiar with a few refinements. However, these cameras are not for everyone. They bear no resemblance to CaNikon dSLRs. Casual shooters dismissed them as having too many quirks. However, the quirks all go away once one becomes fluent with the camera. Reading the manual and practice is vital. These are not casual cameras for the occasional user. Once learned, they are very easy to use in the field.

They are also three cameras I will keep indefinitely. Each fills a need brilliantly and all three produce the best quality I can imagine, in all the circumstances in which I shoot. The D700 plays the role of the pro-level systems I used on the job. The X100 is the always present "personal" camera. The XP1 is the light, quiet rangefinder for street, people-photography and decisive-moment shooting.

With film, one of the best returns on investment was my WideLuxe 140 panoramic camera. It got me countless magazine assignments. Both Fuji cameras have panoramic functions, so they also play the role of the WideLuxe.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow