Depth of Field on the M43 is in fact better not worse.....

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ChrisDM
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,095
Like?
Agree
In reply to Agitprop, May 27, 2012

I agree with that. Its why I have a D7000 with a Tokina 50-135 2.8 as my second camera to compliment my D800. A 70-200 2.8 equivalent at a fraction of the weight and cost. So equivalence DOES matter, its just that smaller sensors have their advantages also of course!

I need to know what your 400mm equivalent 2.8 lens is. Im the house photog for a local concert venue and I often have to shoot from the back. Something like this on my OMD would be fantastic for this task. Please let me know what it is. At that price I assume it must be manual focus? May be tough for live concert photography.. Do tell!

Agitprop wrote:
Equivalence is a double edged sword.

FF will have the advantage at shorter focal lengths (aka wider fov) but m43 can gain the upper hand at narrower fov. This is because i can use, say, an fd 85mm f1.2 and get a shallower dof than someone using a 150mm f2.8. The same applies with a 50mm f1.2 and 135mm f2.0 on the m43. Most times I'll also gain in closer focus distances and pay less for the legacy lass than a FF native equivalent.

I currently own a lens that cost me less than $500, has f2.8 light gathering ability and fov equivalent to a 400mm lens on a FF body. It's probably sharper to boot. To get an ef f5.6 400mm, I have to spend $1400 and lose 2 stops of light gathering., If I want that fov and speed, I need to spend $12,000 and I end up with a 4kg monster that I can't use external filters on.

So, I really don't care about the equivalence arguments. Each system has strength, each has weaknesses.

ChrisDM wrote:

Everdog wrote:

I posted a few days back that all things being EQUAL, the M43 camera will have a shallower DoF. People freaked and insited you must make things un-equal (and then called it equivalence - go figure) and stand a lot father away with the M43 camera to widen the DoF.

All things being equal except fov, which is crucial for composition. If I'm composing a scene with my d800 and choose a 50mm lens, and needed to switch to my om-d to capture the scene, I would need my 25, not a 50 on the om-d. That's the practical side of equivalence that the mental masteurbaters like to discount. Maybe equivalence doesn't matter on paper, but it means everything in the field.

I choose to shoot my om-d for lots of different and excellent reasons, but shallow dof isn't one of them. Not that it isn't possible, its just that my d800 does it a lot better.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:-)New
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow