Veteran MemberPosts: 3,168Gear list
Like?
Re: My personal wish list for a "dream" K-5's successor
In reply to Tibor1, May 27, 2012

Tibor1 wrote:

Your comments or additions are very welcome

Here goes, then!

The K-5 successor wish list:

1- Body –I consider the K-5’s body being JUST PERFECT, so no additional wishes here.

I am a left-eyed shooter and find the rear right-hand side of the body to be difficult to access (obstructed by my own face), so there are some improvements I'd like to see. E.g. Move the green button to the top and move the LV button away from the 4-way controller. (Just like the new K30.) Ditch the dedicated ISO button, and allow the OK button to be used for it (like on the K10D/K20D). Add a swivel LCD (at least as an option?)

2- Sensor – Pentax, PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THE CROWD IN MP WAR!!! 16 MP is absolutely enough in APSC and you know that. Focus further on DR; make the (already low) noise profile even better. You already showed us that can you can do miracles in this field (K-5).

Disagree on the pixel race aspect. 24mp on the Sony A77 is very nice at low-ISO and although I rarely print big enough to do it justice, I'd still take it for the extra cropping possibilities -- BUT only so long as Pentax can cleverly allow downsampling of high-ISO files to 16MP to reduce noise to the K-5 levels we all know and love (the Sony A77 sensor is poor above ISO 800).

3- AF – I wish Pentax could make it even more PRECISE AND STABLE UNDER DIFFERENT WAVELENGTH, its current speed is OK for me.

OK. Maybe even add a dedicated CPU for AF-C tracking, if they really want to impress me

4- Viewfinder – No changes needed. Pentax, just keep using first class OVFs please. DO NOT put your EVF solution, if any, to production models till the final solution does not match the quality of your OVF in EVERY ASPECT.

OK

5- LCD – Pentax, give me a swivel LCD please! It is very helpful in macro and photographing kids, pets, etc. Challenge you engineers!

Agreed, so long as it does not add too much to the size of the body ....

6- Assembly – Dear Pentax I am asking you for a bug-free camera. Consider please giving special bonuses to your QC staff for finding and eliminating bodies with misaligned sensors, misaligned AF and misaligned MF. Just implement this KPI in your assembly process please, customers in this advanced DSLR market segment DO APPRECIATE hassle-free photographic tools. And you can get more profit due to lower repair costs.

Agreed.

7- Video – I am personally not interest in video functions in my DSLR. However I understand that many others do. Pentax, I have nothing against video in your camers, just PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT COMPROMISE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC OUTPUT'S QUALITY FOR VIDEO CAPABILITIES!!! Marketing statements like “the new sensor was specially adapted/tuned/remade/whatever… for capturing video” make me suspicious... I would really like to have the photographic output NOT DOWNGRADED due to video (especially DR and noise) K-5 is a current benchmark for me.

OK, but I do like the faster Live View in the K-5, and so anything developed on the video side which helps live view is good news IMO.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow