Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: To all those who still claim that the C-AF of the E-M5 is usesless:
In reply to DonParrot, May 26, 2012

DonParrot wrote:

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

. . . Impressive results Don. Multiple or single shot? You've finally convinced me to try C-AF again after giving up on it with my E-PL3.

Hi Tim, it's multiple shots. In the single-shot mode, I'd arguably opt for the blinding fast S-AF. Just aim, press the shutter button in one go - and you've got a well focused pic. Although I have to admit that I haven't tested this approach with the sighthounds, today.

And please note: Using picture mode vivid increases the reliability of the C-AF massively.

Then, using the high-frequency mode of the EVF is a must.

Further more, we have to forget some of the things we've learned in our DSLR days:

For instance, using IS 1 plus the EVF-IS also helps in the case of a subject approaching frontally.

And allowing the camera half a second or so for precalculating the movement even seems to be counterproductive. Just wait for the AF confirmation beep and start shooting right away.

And, last but not least: it needs a lot of practice as the visible AF field disappears as soon you have pressed the shutter button. So, you've got no orientation point in the EVF and will need some time to be able to keep the AF field on a fast moving subject, nevertheless.

At the end of the day, I have to say: It's not exactly what I would call easy but it can be done.

And when it comes to the E-PL3: this is a completely different affair. Tested its C-AF once and came to the conclusion that it's absolutely useless or, more precisely, non existent. Therefore, the massive improvement of the E-M5 came as a big surprise for me.

. . . Thanks for the valuable advice Don, I've got it bookmarked. Too bad there's no dog track here in my area. I've seen them in years past and they're a lot of fun to watch and photographing them would be a great challenge.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow