The true equivalence of the OM-D+75mm vs Canon 5DIII

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?
Re: The true equivalence of the OM-D+75mm vs Canon 5DIII
In reply to MAubrey, May 26, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

Frankly the claims about the “improvements “of the E-M5 such as “as good as D800” etc would be quite laughable if it were not for the amount of abuse that gets directed at anyone suggesting otherwise. And as a final comment on your methodology of cropping the higher MP camera down to compare is really quite unfair as what is important is the end result of camera+ lens + processing. Comparing controlled RAW files processed to each cameras best at the same output size is all that matters to me.

To the best of my knowledge, the only claim about the E-M5 being as good as the D800 was one made by Louis that had extremely specific and limited parameters: Dynamic Range at base ISO. That isn't an entirely unreasonable claim...

Yes in that particular case it is an unreasonable claim. The D800 (but not other FF cameras) has unparallelled DR according to DxO. It's above 14 EV as compared to about 12 for other current FF cameras. A value of about 12 is also what can be expected for the E-M5 when DxO comes around to testing it.

But if I recall correctly, Louis's claim did not concern DR (although you are right that base ISO DR is a preoccupation of his). Rather, I think he argued that the DPR studio scene shots didn't have much better detail than those of the E-M5 in spite of the much higher resolution of the D800 sensor (36 MP versus 16). If we take that claim of his to be factually correct, it might, of course, be a matter of how good the lenses are and how they are used.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow