Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filmpoet
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Sigma SD1 Merrill First Impressions
May 26, 2012

I just wanted to follow up to my previous thread when I was trying to decide between the 50 or the 30 1.4 lens. I originally wrote a long first impressions thread but for some reason when I clicked the post button I got a dpreview error page which was irritating to me, so I didn't try to write another Friday afternoon. It didn't save anything that I wrote. Geez.

So I'm just going to keep this short and sweet...

I had really wanted this camera ever since it was over $5000 because I knew of the foveon quality since I had the SD9 and I have the DP2s. Despite the slowness of the camera, the image quality, in my opinion, is a LOT better than my 5dII at low iso. THe files are just more appealing period and I like my 5dII. Every test that I did to try to make them even, the SD1 came out on top. I bought the 50 1.4 with the SD1 and I have the 50 1.4 and the 70-200 2.8L for my 5dII. I shot from 2.8 through f8 for every test which were still life setups and portraits.

In saying the above, the frustrations that I have had with the softness of the 50 1.4 at everything below f4 compared to my Canon 50 1.4 and the NUMEROUS crashes of Photo Pro 5.2.1 on my imac 2.7 quad i5, 12gb ram, I'm done. So I'm guessing I got a lemon lens since all the test I saw on the 50 1.4 looked good or shall I say a lot better than what I saw. I'm not going to play the guinea pig and keep sending lenses back to BH Photo until I get a good copy. That's crazy! OMG the software is freaking UNBELIEVABLE! When I first installed I got funky colors on the files and had to reinstall which was fine afterwards. Now today the software continuously crashes at random. Unacceptable. The frustrations from the 50 lens and this software just has my blood boiling today.

I REALLY love the output of this camera regardless of the slow speed but the quality control on Sigma lenses and the software is just the straw that broke the camel's back. There is nothing wrong with this foveon sensor in my opinion but geez Sigma get it together. In conclusion, it's so not worth it to spend almost $3000 for a camera and lens and have to deal with stuff that shouldn't be an issue. Just my opinion, but this experience has really made me not ever want to try Sigma again. Such a shame for the SD line. Happy shooting guys!

filmpoet's gear list:filmpoet's gear list
Pentax 645D Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma DP2s Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow