Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Erik00
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
New Canon lens has been released
May 26, 2012

When I was searching at an internet shop in Denmark, I saw that Canon has released a new EF-s lens: 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 III without IS. It was sold as a kit with the 1100D camera.

I haven't seen any announcement from Canon about this lens, and it is difficult for me to understand Canons reasons for making such a lens.

I think the vast majority of 1100 buyers are first time owners of a DSLR. They have upgraded from a small sensor camera with build in IS.

One of the problems they encounter is the much smaller depth of field in a DSLR, and to compensate they must use smaller apertures. To compensate for the small aperture they must lower shutter speed (or raise ISO.)

They are also used to have IS in the body, so using this lens they have an extra chance for blurred photos.

In Denmark the new lens is about 34 US$ cheaper than the IS version (ex. VAT.)

I think only buyers without any experience with a DSLR would buy the new lens, and I think Canon would be much better served by selling the IS lens and have customers being able to make a high percentage of sharp photos.

If the buyer is not able to pay the extra amount for the IS lens, he or she should not upgrade to a Canon DSLR.

I can only see a purpose with the new lens, that is, if Canon would bring a DSLR with IBIS to the market, and I find that very unlikely.

Erik00's gear list:Erik00's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow