A-77 advice?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,645Gear list
Like?
Re: A-77 advice?
In reply to airedalemd, May 26, 2012

I'm really confident you'll find the A77 a great upgrade from the E620.

Slow AF in any situation is just not an issue. The A77's AF is impressive in both speed and accuracy. It focuses faster in really poor light than my Canon 1D4 does (although the 1D4 is notoriously challenged in really poor light).

Noise is much more of an issue and I'd tend to agree with Digitalshooter that if this is something that concerns you in advance then you might want to look elsewhere. You can get usable shots at ISO 6400 with some careful noise reduction - DxO Optics Pro or Topaz Denoise recommended. But if you are going to spend considerable time shooting at ISOs above 1600 then I think you'd be happier with a Sony A57 or Canon 60D or perhaps a Nikon D7000 (although I don't remember if it has an articulated LCD).

airedalemd wrote:

I'm thinking about the A-77 but am put off by the reports of the slow AF in high ISO situations and the noisy low light situations. These are two of the reasons I want to upgrade from the E-620. Are these big problems? (Whatever I buy must have the articulating LCD.)

I'm at an "enthusiast" level, not pro by any means. Also I will invest in the the best lenses if I get this camera.
Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow