17-40mm f4 L at 17mm vs 11-16mm f2.8 Tokina at 16mm (on full frame)

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matty W
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
17-40mm f4 L at 17mm vs 11-16mm f2.8 Tokina at 16mm (on full frame)
May 26, 2012

I have a 17-40mm L that I hate and I sent it to Canon to get its decentering fixed. $200 repair for a problem that the lens had inherently. Great, but warrantee is expired so no surprise. The performance is so horrible that I assume it must be a problem, but it gets better by 24mm so I'm worried this is just a not so good lens in the first place...

I have a 11-16mm f2.8 Tokina that I LOVE but it doesn't really cover at 16mm. It's super sharp at the center but the edges are just rough until f11. Better than the 17mm's edges but it's so sharp that the contrast between center and edges is somehow almost as bad. At f2.8 the middle looks amazing.

I am considering getting the 17-40mm repaired (alternately pawning it off cheap "as is")--what do owners of these two lenses think? What I really want is a fast sharp ultra wide (14mm L or 16-35mm L), but these are what I can afford. Which do you prefer? For video and for stills. Or dig up an old Tokina 17mm?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow