Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
001FJ
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Nikon ergonomics win!
May 26, 2012

So I bought the D700 about 3 years ago for many reason but mainly because of its ISO performance and fast and accurate AF system. At the same time I had great respect for the 5D Mark II as a camera because of the stunning images photographers have been able to take with it. Today I went to the photography show in Toronto and wanted to try the new Tamron 24-70mm VC, but they only had a Canon mount copy so I decided to try it anyway.

The camera they had was the 5D Mark II and it drove me crazy! First of all it required so many steps to change the AF from area to single, and then even more steps to change the AF to continuous! I actually didn't know how to do it so I gave it back to the Tamron person who is an experienced 5D Mark II shooter and it took him 30-45 seconds to do these changes! 30-45 seconds might not sound much but it really takes no time to do on my D700!

Second, I was not impressed by the images when reviews on the screen. The ISO was 1600, and the colours just looked batchy. I don't know how to describe it better, but the shadows were not smooth at all--it looked horrible. There just had these random batches of greenish/blue in the shadows and even mid-tones, which made the skin look so bad. I was surprised by the results because I have always read how Canon renders skin tones better, but the skin tones on my D700 look so much superior to anything that 5DMarkII offered.

I know I was looking only at JPEGs as produced by the camera processor, and that I am inexperienced with using the 5DMarkII, and the lighting conditions were horrible, but my D700 with the Sigma 24-70mm produced so much better images (cleaner, and much sharper).

Which makes me now wonder: should I buy the Sigma 24-70, Tamron 24-70mm VC, or the Nikon 24-70mm? I always thought the new Tamron 24-70mm is better than the old Sigma 24-70mm but the samples I took using the Tamron 24-70mm + 5DMarkII were horrible.

PS: Sigma lenses look so good! They look even better than the Nikon lenses! Just my opinion!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow