Bird shootin' from my Sittin' Place. (8 imgs)

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,852
Like?
Sharon...
In reply to Kamgal, May 26, 2012

Kamgal wrote:

Thanks, Ron, for the above information. I am still new at this - I have the Pentax 1.7 TC that I use with my DA 55-300, not the best combination, but it has to suffice until the budget says yes for a DA* 300 f/4. Also the K-5's better ISO and improved focusing have made a big improvement, especially using TAV mode.

I really appreciate all of your posts with so much valuable information - I have saved many of them already and they have been helpful as I slowly improve taking images of birds.

Hi Sharon,

I apprecaite that you have confidence in me.

I love the ouput of the K-5 + DA*300/4 + Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter. However, if I am going to shoot at birds in flight I will generally use a Pentax-FA*300/4.5 + 1.4X teleconverter, or Pentax-FA*400/5.6, or Sigma 400/5.6 APO Tele-Macro, or (when I feel like handling the weight) the Sigma 500mm f4.5. The reason being, I need more than 300mm for BIFs. I also want to shoot with AF5/AF11 so I can track the birds better using AF-C. The DA*300/4 + 1.7X AFA defaults to center point only so it is harder to track the birds IMO because you have to keep the bird right in the center of the frame and that is sometimes very hard to do.

See some of Greyser's threads where he uses the FA*300/4.5 + Tamron 1.4X teleconverter. If I remember correctly he chose the FA*300/4.5 over the DA*300/4 for the express purpose of being able to use the 1.4X teleconverter. I am in a position to be able to own both the FA*300/4.5 and the DA*300/4 lenses. However, if I had to choose only one to shoot at the birds in flight I would choose the FA*300/4.5 just so I could use my Tamron 1.4X teleconverter with it. Even so, I still think the DA*300/4 is the best danged 300mm in the whole universe.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow