Flash question

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: Flash question
In reply to painterdude, May 26, 2012

painterdude wrote:

I never use a flash ..but I am going to be having to do a music studio/recording shoot and will need one.

Mostly I need the thang for my D90 but it would be great to have a flash that worked with the S200EXR as well..
What flash should I be looking at if I want a good one..??

Two flashes work much better than one, and if you can mount them on a stand with an umbrella reflector, so much the better. The SB-700 is less expensive than the SB-910, and both can be controlled from the D90's menu (essentially adjusting each flash's power output using exposure compensation) and triggered by your D90's built-in flash acting as a remote Commander. It's not wise to simultaneously use flash EC and camera EC. For the S200, any 'dumb' flash that has a single contact in the center of the foot that goes into the S200's hot shoe. This won't allow you to use a TTL flash, but the if the flash is set to your S200's ISO and aperture, it can do its own Auto exposure, otherwise you'd have to set its output manually. A good, powerful, inexpensive, flash of this type is Vivitar's 285HV. The main problem is that once again the flash is in the hot shoe, the worst place for a single flash due to the harsh shadow outlines it creates.

If you get the SB-700, eneloops are easily the best type of AA batteries because they generate much less heat than other types. If you need really fast flash recycle times, the more expensive SB-910 are the ones to get. But if you know what you're doing (using widest tolerable apertures and highest tolerable ISO) the flash output will be greatly reduced and you might be able to shoot many shots in sequence with no waiting for the flash to recharge it's capacitor between shots, and the flash and batteries will run much cooler. It's shocking how few full power shots will shut down the flash. Download the manual and see for yourself. If you shoot too many high power flash shots too quickly, the flash can shut down until it cools off. If that happens, replacing the hot AA batteries with another cool set will allow the flash to cool off and return to service quicker.

If the subjects of your shooting won't be stationary, you probably won't be able to use the remote flashes on stands, but a friend or two can hand hold them for you. They'd just have to make sure that the IR input sensor on the flash body isn't covered by a hand or by their body. The nice part is that they almost don't have to know what they're doing as long as the flash is pointed towards the subject(s). They can move, the subject(s) can move (within reason) and the camera can move, and Nikon's flash system will automatically adjust to provide a proper exposure. Most of the time.

Final note. If there are any local companies that rent DSLR bodies and lenses, some of them also rent flashes, with or without stands and umbrellas.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow