14-24mm & 16-35mm Compared on D4

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,315
Like?
More than two choices
In reply to JoshRtek, May 25, 2012

People compare the 16-35mm f4 to the 14-24mm and ignore the third option of the 17-35mm f2.8 lens. I did a rental of the 16-35mm for a week and shot it on both FX and DX cameras along with the 14-24mm of the same scenes, both subjects at 4-8 foot range and scenics of a local harbor with fishing boats.

The 14-24mm was very noticeably sharper with the images that had subjects closer than 8' from the camera. With distant objects the difference is less apparent as one would expect. If you like to shoot "near and far" wide angle shots then the 14-24mm is the better choice.

A third lens that is midway between the two is the 17-35mm f2.8 which I owned and used a great deal on D1x and D2x cameras. This lens is sharper and faster than the 16-35mm f4 lens and it takes a 77mm screw in filter as well.

If I wanted something lighter than the 14-24mm and or a lens that would accept standard screw mount filters my first choice would be the 17-35mm f2.8 lens. This lens was designed for use on digital cameras and was introduced by Nikon at the same time as the D1x.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow