Our 12-35mm preview updated with samples

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Re: Our 12-35mm preview updated with samples
In reply to Jun2, May 25, 2012

I'm disappointed too. but will wait to see how the definitive lens looks. Most of the mft lenses are corrected in software and that impacts the corners most. So may be they have not yet ironed the software corrections.

Anyway, I was kind of relieved by those results because I have already bought too many gear these past two years. So it is very possible that I'll pass these two zooms. Plus they are bigger and I like the lighter primes and kit zooms.

Jun2 wrote:

I was very disappointed with what I saw from the first 4 pictures. I didn't check the rest of pictures. 12mm at F4 should have very deep depth of field. The fact, the corner is so soft. I will take a pass.

rrr_hhh wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

I am kind of disappointed on the lens performance. The edge is not very sharp. Optical performance doesn't seem to be better than Oly 14-54II f2.8-3.5.

I was a little disappointed by the corners too. But in fact there are not so many shots allowing you to take a closer look at it : most of the shots were taken at F2.8, or didn't have lots of fine details to look for in the corners. In fact only the first four pictures offer some clue about the corners, but one was shot at F4.5, one at F4.0, one at F3.5 and one at F2.8. It is probably not their soft spot in term of corners' IQ, plus you don't know where they were focusing and if the lower DOF had an impact on the corners' softness.

The center however looks extremely sharp. But Personnally I prefer more uniformity in a lens and would trade some center sharpness in order to get better corners. May be you need to close the aperture down a little to get that, between F5.6 and F8. As is, only the final review will tell us.

And I hope to see those results on the E-M5 because now it is the mft camera featuring the best sensor, whatever Adventsam thinks.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow