Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus TV Ad for PEN Series
In reply to Detail Man, May 25, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

400trix wrote:

Not true at all. When times are bad for a company, usually the first expense on the chopping block is advertising.

Says who ? Yours is an entirely counter-intuitive and paradoxical statement.

Actually it is true. I worked for several companies that were in that situtation. They also sell off their most profitable parts which makes no sense too.

The fact that you're aware of a small number of companies that happened to have made such decisions simply does not (to me) make it anything other than your particular limited observation ...

I will concede that while your position makes sense to an engineering mind, it isn't how businesses operate, at least not in the consumer market. I believe that the logic is that sales are related to overall conditions more than the product itself, so that if sales are slow it has to be because the market is slow, and doing more advertising won't help.

The take-home point is that business logic is closely related to military intelligence.

Why do Canon and Nikon spend so much advertising DSLRs? Why was there a Rebel commercial on every 10 minutes (or so it seemed) last fall? Why do the largest car makers adertise the most? Why do the largest insurance companies advertise the most?

It is great to see Olympus doing this. To me is says, the PEN series not only is profitable, but they feel it has great potential. You can't increase marketshare with advertising when Canikon is out there doing what they are doing.

Do you fellows all happen to own shares of stock in Olympus (or something)? Just enthuisiastic?

Well, I personally don't care about the ads. I neither watch TV, nor own stock (in anything!).

-- hide signature --

God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow