Canon mirroless with a modern design ? and 4/3 sensor ...

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,477
Like?
remember what Canon did when they switched to EOS
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 25, 2012

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Even if Canon will do it fine with their system, Micro 4/3 will continue to lead the mirrorless market, we have good cameras and good lenses, and many choices

I don't think it matters. It will be good for everyone.

As for me, I am a Canon DSLR shooter, but currently I also have m4/3 gear. If the Canon mirrorless gear looks good and promising, and has cross-compatibility with their Canon EOS gear (the ability to use EOS lenses on it with AF, and the ability to use their Speedlites on-camera and off-camera), I'll probably eventually switch over to the Canon mirrorless gear. It would be great to go out shooting or traveling with my Canon DSLR gear, but also have a compact, slim Canon mirrorless body in my bag as well.

Cross compatibility would at a lot more flexibility to my overall gear collection. For example, when I want to go really compact, I can use the Canon mirrorless gear. But then I can also attach the Canon mirrorless body to any of my existing Canon lenses (obviously, with a Canon adapter). For example, I am already using my Canon 85/1.8 on my E-PM1 (using an EF-to-m4/3 adapter), but obviously I am not getting AF with it on my m4/3 body.

So whether Canon leads the mirrorless market or whether m4/3 leads the mirrorless market, I think it's a win-win for everyone.

But keep in mind that an existing Canon user (and there are a lot of them out there) is much more likely to buy a Canon mirrorless camera, even if the lens selection is initially more limited than m4/3. In the long run, it's just a smarter choice for a Canon user because of the potential to use existing Canon equipment and accessories.

Plus, Canon will eventually catch up to m4/3 with regards to cameras and lens selection. Remember that Canon was the company that decided to ditch their entire manual focus SLR system -- the Canon FD system-- and started from scratch with their new autofocus EOS/EF system. Many people thought it was a suicidal decision, but obviously Canon ended up catching up to other systems that never had to start over, and not only did they catch up but they also surpassed these other SLR systems to be the top system in the SLR market. Today, Canon is even more powerful and has even more resources, and is even more popular than they were when they ditched their FD system back in the late 1980's, so I think they have a pretty strong chance of repeating that "start from scratch" success story in the mirrorless market.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow