14-24mm & 16-35mm Compared on D4

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
JoshRtek
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: 14-24mm & 16-35mm Compared on D4
In reply to MrSynthetic, May 25, 2012

I'm really interested to see how these two lenses compare in microcontrast and color reproduction.

The more and more I shoot Nikon glass, the more I realize that sharpness is overrated, and almost any Nikkor lens can be very, very sharp when used properly.

However, some of the more "pro" glass seems to have a similar quality when it comes to microcontrast and color...qualities that some of the lesser lenses just lack (not to say those images can't be tweaked to look similar in post).

My 24mm f/1.4G and 105mm VR Macro have a "bite" and dreamlike quality that my 50mm f/1.4G and 28-300mm lack. Perhaps it's the nano-coating?

Anyhow, both the 14-24mm and 16-35mm have nano-coating, and all things equal, I'm curious to see how the lenses compare with how they draw the image.

Did some more shooting this morning with some great sunrise light coming in from the windows. The 14-24mm certainly has more of a "bite" than the 16-35mm, but the two are very close in sharpness at their widest settings.

I haven't really checked out distortion on the wide end of both lenses, but this doesn't concern me much...easy to fix in post.

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow