Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108Gear list
Like?
X-Pro 1 in PA Dutchland
May 25, 2012

Our off-season rambles are very limited in terms of both time and distance due to my need to provide 24/7 care for my wife. So, we are required to look at things we've seen a thousand times before and try to "see" them through fresh eyes - maybe not such a bad challenge for a would-be photographer. Here are some recent pics from some dog runs in the nearby Oley valley.

The Oley valley is blessed with superb soil, so it was settled and prosperous in the Colonial days. There are quite a number of 18th century farmsteads still to be seen. Wealthy people from New York and Philadelphia have been buying them and restoring them, which drives the price of one of these old places beyond what any but a very few locals can afford. I guess the good news is that the old places are being preserved in a certain sense. Here is an example of a beautifully redone main house:

The springhouse for this farm - the water is still pure, cool and delicious:

The original little settler's house, also built over a spring, as most of them were. Now redone into a garden house:

This flower was all by itself in the woods - very pretty. Anyone know its name?

Wild daisies are blooming now - very common, but very pretty, too:

Just a cool pattern in still water comprised of the bottom, the surface and a reflection of what's above - trying to really "see" what I've seen before.

This place (the Jakob Keim homestead) is well preserved, but is not redone into a mansion. It still retains much of the nearly medieval feel of early PA Dutch architecture; and has no running water, central heat, etc. Not many places like this around - nearly all of the old places are either mansions or working farms now.

The settler's house also built over a spring and is built with a central fireplace and chimney (as opposed to a fireplace at one end), which was a very old German design. Houses of that period that were built by people of the English culture had chimneys at the ends, not in the middle.

I can easily picture the men of the Keim family coming and going with longrifles in their hands, as this was wild frontier wilderness then.

We came across this marker and went out to look at the old graveyard.

In the Colonial days and after, each family had its own burial plot. Most of them were simply plowed under in the early 20th century to allow for more cropland and are now lost forever. That sort of thing is now illegal and existing, known cemeteries are plotted for their protection. This one is probably typical - a square walled off graveyard in the middle of nowhere:

Interestingly, it turns out that Col. Hunter was actually Col. Jager (which means hunter in German). His headstone says: "Hier ruhet Daniel Jager. Er wurde geboren ...." (Here rests Daniel Jager. He was born ....). I wonder why the people doing the marker decided to eliminate his PA Dutch heritage and Anglicize the whole thing?

The oldest grave in this plot was for a Mr. Levan who was born in the 1680's. I try to imagine what this area was like back then and what he must have experienced in his lifetime.

Well, thanks for looking - I hope the pics (all done with the XP1) weren't too boring.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow