Is the D800 really needed in Nikon's lineup?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,301Gear list
Like?
You should've had this conversdation before "giving away" your D800.
In reply to Nippondenso, May 25, 2012

What is the point of discussing it now?

If you don't know how to utilize large numbers of MPs, that's on you, not on Nikon or other users.

Nippondenso wrote:

Interestly after having the D800 for a while and not really finding a niche for it in my shooting needs I decided to give it away and stick with the D4. The D800 is a great body but it was more MP than I really need. Now that I got a second D4 I started to think if there really is a good reason for owning a D800? It also had me wondering if the whole 36 MP was nothing more than a marketing stunt by Nikon. Frankly, I'm more impressed with my images from the D4 at less than half the resolution, even with large prints.

So, is the D800 really a piece of tecnological marvel we can't live without or is it nothing more than a slick marketing gimmick that sucked in a lot of people with the 36 MP lure? I was hooked for a while till I used the camera for a while.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow