Canon 24-105 vs ???

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,507Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-105 vs ???
In reply to jcgraphics77, May 25, 2012

jcgraphics77 wrote:

I'm about to take the leap to FF and get the 5D2 or 3. I'd like a good all around lens for events/weddings. Best for groups, portraits, candids, etc. I'm considering the 24-105 f4. Seems like a great focal length and the IS would be great. Perhaps also the best bang for my buck, especially if I get a package deal. The 24-70 f2.8 is my next option. The extra stop would help with subject isolation but I would loose the extra reach. Otherwise, from what I've read, the IQ is similar. And then I can't help but wonder if the 24-70 II is really going to be worth the wait and not to mention all that extra dough! $2,300?! Wow! I really haven't had much luck with 3rd party lenses so I think I'll stick with Canon. Can you guys help me make up my mind??? Thanks! By the way, I currently use a 40D and 17-55 f2.8 IS.

The wider range of the 24-105L is the difference maker for me. It's aterrific lens, verey well built, light weight (compared to the 24-70mm), and has a good IS system.

Used 24-105s are abundant and priced really well (probably 1/3 of the new 24-70) for the quality of this lens.

Fred

Fred

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow