ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigG30
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Selling 17-55 for 24-105L - opinions?
May 25, 2012

All,

I currently own a 7D and own the rather tasty 17-55 f/2.8 (also own the 15-85mm as backup).

However, I am considering a full-frame body and was toying with the 24-70mm f/2.8 which is now discontinued and I can't find a stockist so will be forced into the second hand market. In order to make the switch, I want to sell some EF-S gear to fund a couple of lenses but also still utilise the newly purchased EF lens.

The 24-105L seems like it'll meet my needs nicely:

• depending on who you ask, it produces results very similar to the 24-70mm f/2.8

• it has IS and is weather sealed (I much prefer IS to f/2.8)

• I very rarely used f/2.8 on my 17-55mm, so don't mind sacrificing f/2.8

• it's L glass and produces great results on FF, so should be just as good as the 17-55 on my 7D until I upgrade

• it'll give me a longer focal length whilst sacrificing the wide end (I have the EF-S 15-85mm as a backup...)

• I'm unlikely to shoot it wide open, it'll be a walkaround lens but will spend and equal amount of time around f/8 as a longer length landscape lens

Any thoughts or advice on this plan? How do you find your 7D performs with the 24-105 L?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow