A37 vs A57

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,904Gear list
Like?
Re: A37 vs A57
In reply to tabloid, May 25, 2012

tabloid wrote:

I think that u are the man for me to talk to.
We are using more and more videos in our productions.

So i bought a Nikon D3200 mostly for its video capabilities....but that didn't work out, as the camera overheated, and stopped working (i was outside).
I also couldn't see anything in the LCD (again outside)
So back to the drawing board.

So I'm now looking at the specs of the 37, 57, 65.(for video capabilities).

Reading preview about the A37 is sez that it will only autofocus in P mode (video).....hmmm that no good.

But then u say that the A57 has full use of M,S,A etc in autofocus, which gives the operator more control over exposure etc.
Am i reading all this correctly.

My D3200 (in video setting) auto focuses in all modes.
Before anybody sez get a camcorder, we have a Canon XF100,

Before anybody sez get a full frame, we have a Canon 1DS3, and a D800..so all bases are covered (almost)....what we are looking for is a smaller, light camera, that does good quality stills and videos.
George Richardson (UK)

The D3200 does AF in video but uses contrast detect AF. Since the DSLR lenses are not optimized for CDAF they focus so slow as to be nearly useless. The SLTs use PDAF so they focus very fast but for that type of autofocus to work properly the aperture is fixed at f3.5. You have 3 choices, a camera that has terrible AF in video, a camera that has excellent AF but restricts you to f3.5 or use manual focus.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow