Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GPapa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677
Like?
Photo Stitching: Level before merge
May 25, 2012

I don't do a lot of photo stitching to create panoramas. When I do one it is more often than not and after thought done hand held and keeping the camera level is an issue. Even when I use my admittedly cheap tripod they aren't perfectly level.

When I run the photos through the stitching program I end up cropping a lot from both the top and bottom. Some of you guys may have noticed this too.

At one of the recent district tournament games the athletic director of the host school asked me to take a shot of their recently upgraded ball field. I shot the thing hand held and did my best to maintain level.

In post processing I did something I had never thought of doing for previous panorama sets. Before loading the images into the stitch program I adjusted the level of each image and exported the adjusted images to a new folder. When I loaded those images into the stitching program it made a major difference in the results.

I have not used any stitching software other than that provided by Canon with my camera purchase, PhotoStitch, but correcting vertical alignment of the images before merging should be a feature of the software. The difference was that great.

I did three views of the field, all hand held.

13 Frames

12 Frames

19 Frames

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow