what if the new G zoom is a powerzoom pancake?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,758Gear list
Like?
Re: what if the new G zoom is a powerzoom pancake?
In reply to kev777zero, May 25, 2012

kev777zero wrote:

there seems to be quite a bit of dissapointment with the new announced 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 G zoom. the variably aperture isn't appealing, nor the FL range, making it an expensive twin to the kit lens. What if Sony is doing this as they are aware of the body-lens size awkwardness, and trying to make a downsized lens? how bout a pancake zoom like the pana X 14-42?

Yes the lens is slow, especially so at the long end, but it does have IS (so the rumor goes).

Personally, I would have prefered something a bit faster, or at least constant aperture. But being a 'G' lens bodes well for IQ, so it will be no twin to the kit lens.

If it were to be a power zoom, then I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I looked at, and passed, on the 14-42X lens of Panasonic, and I would pass on a Sony wannabe too.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow