Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mtmt88
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
Kodak Z990 zoom and burst
May 25, 2012

Finally got the time to post some pics that I took this past sunday, at the Orioles vs Nationals game. I got the chance to stage my own P&S vs DLSR inter-league game, pitting the Z990 against my DSLR Sony a330.

certainly this was not a very scientific nor representative test. the Sony a330 is more of a beginner's DSLR, and my zoom lens is a slow cheapo Quantaray 75-300mm, f5.6. The Z990 was much sharper, faster, more fps, etc.
first from the Sony:

these are taken as two successive bursts. you can see the focus is off and the lag in between the motion.

then from the Z990:

these are two successive bursts from the 60 fps mode. it's amaing to look at all the tiny intervals of action. even at only 2MP, the pics are respectable. the downside is, it takes eternity to write to SD card or can just crash your camera altogether.

regular burst from the Z990:

Darren O'Day. love those submarine/ side-arm pitchers.

here are some other ones from the Z990:

19 yr-old phenom Bryce Harper. notice the broken bat!

Adam Jones

Taiwan-born starting pitcher Wei-Yin Chin, turned out to be the ace in the O's pitching staff, although getting knocked around by the Nats in this game.

To sum it up, I have to say I'm very pleased with the Z990's zoom and burst abilities. not so by its portrait abililties (slow focus, slow write time) - i guess that's what my DSLR is for. likewise, my beginner's DSLR cannot produce the same zoom and burst pics my Z990 can. to do the same with a DSLR will require 10 times what i paid for the Z990!

Kodak EasyShare Z990 (EasyShare Max) Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow