ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,878
Like?
CPL for new Bigma. (5 imgs)
May 25, 2012

Hi folks,

I had read some good things about the Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer Filters so I bought one that is 95mm to try out on my Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens for Pentax.

In order to adjust the CPL without having to remove the hood each time I also bought a Sonia Metal 95mm Telephoto Lens Hood Shade. I screw this into the Marumi CPL and then use the Sonia to make my adjustments.

At 50mm wide open It has a bit of vignetting in the corners but it is gone by f8.

FWIW: I also tried a 95-86mm step-down to a 86-77mm step-down and used a Sonia Metal 77mm Telephoto Lens Hood Shade

to screw into my Marumi 77mm CPL. It worked fine from about 100mm to 500mm. An 86-77mm step-down would work good for the Sigma 150-500mm lens.

I also bought a Marumi 112mm CPL MC Multi-Coated Filter that I can use on my Pentax-FA*250-600mm f5.6, Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 Adaptall 2, Tamron SP 400mm f4 Adaptall 2, and my Tamron autofocusing 300mm f2.8 lenses. These will be a bit more difficult to adjust because I will have to remove the lens hoods to adjust them.

I will be testing these CPL's out and I hope that they work out OK because I have a lot of money invested in them. However, it is less than what the well known high priced brands would have cost me.

Here are five quick images I took for a first test with the Sigma 50-500mm. Note: These are all handheld, I was only looking for the effect of the CPL not sharp images or properly exposed images. I will do some further testing with a tripod and gimbal at another time.

Image #1 - Adjusted to remove the glare from the side window.

Image #2 - Adjusted to remove the glare from the back window.

Image #3 - Adjusted to remove some of the glare from both windows.

Image #4 - At 50mm, wide open, with max CPL. Notice the slight vignetting in the upper left and right corners.

Image #5 - At 50mm, wide open, with minimum CPL.

Note: I just received these Marumi CPL's so I won't be able to answer questions until I give them a thorough testing.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow