not being able to zoom with weather proof lenses, and budget lens options?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
not being able to zoom with weather proof lenses, and budget lens options?
May 25, 2012

I read some things saying if you zoom with pentax's weather sealed lenses, you could get water into the lens/camera.

Is this true for the most part? I would hate to buy the k-5 or k-30 just to find out i can't use any of the zoom lenses as a zoom lens.....

also, for awhile now i've been interested in possibly switching to pentax DSLRs from my samsung nX system, but part of the huge appeal (for me) of DSLRs is that you have so many budget options and can afford a wide variety of lenses (~$100 50mm f1.8, less than $250 telephoto IS lenses, less than $500 telephoto macros/wide angle to telephoto/excellent f1.8 85mm primes, etc.).

But I just don't see that with Pentax....looking through bhphotovideo's wide selection, pentax doesn't seem to have sub $200 options (although their newly announced 50mm f1.8 seems to be of better quality than canon or nikon's ~$100 options, so i guess the price increase is justified), their kit and telephoto lenses are decently priced considering they're weather sealed, and of course there's some fast mid range zoom and wide to telephoto options from sigma/tamron, but as far as normal to longer fast primes go, i know the limited series are excellent, but many of them aren't that fast (at least f2) while being relatively expensive compared to options from nikon or canon, or even sony in some cases.

what is your advice/opinion on this? I've been looking into various DSLRs systems for awhile now, but I'm still fairly new to exactly what justifies what price, which lenses are popular choices, etc so any words are appreciated

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow