Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
Show me-don't talk about DOF FF vs u4/3
May 25, 2012

This image was made a few day's back using my Kodak SLR/n 14mp FF DSLR and an old Nikon AI 50mm f/1.4.

I used base ISO 160, Av f/4 and Tv 1/90 hand held bending down and I'm 62 years old. I used f/4 because I wanted the flower to be sharp while keeping the ISO at base of 160. The original image was a little darker so I brightened it up. I also sharpend the image. Perhaps these two opperations brought out a very little amount of noise. I should have exposed to the right for the highlights and if I did the Kodak has no noise at ISO 160. But, I wanted to use f/4 and I wanted as high a shutter speed as I could get to avoid blurryness from hand holding the camera.

I have 3 m4/3 cameras and I do not get anything like this from them. Even when using Leica M 50mm f/1.4 Summilux.

So show me your flower images that you like. We can compare.

Oh, I'm very sure I will get a lot of people TALKING about that FF is nothing and m4/3 can do this no problem. SO to these TALKERS I also say-talk is cheap. Show Me. To those who will go overboard and sling insults at me I say:

Do not bother trying to rip me a new one. Words are only words, show me or shut up!

I can go out and reshoot this at f/1.4 instead of f/4 if the comparasons get anywhere near close. I would thnik you would have no answer to f/1.4 and my Kodak.

Why did I post this now? Right when m4/3 seems to be hitting it's stride? Because there are still many, many people who have never used FF and before it's gone I want them to see what they will not be able to do with smaller sensored cameras. I used to be among the m4/3 people who could not understand why FF is still selling. Now after reflection I know why. DOF is something that can be very pleasant when photographing flowers and portraits. I have had this camera for just over 1 year. I also have a Canon 1DsMkII FF since 2006 and some very nice "L" primes but I think I like my Kodak SLR/n better.

Once againI will say, I can go out and reshoot this at f/1.4 instead of f/4 if the comparasons get anywhere near close. I would thnik you would have no answer to 50mm and f/1.4 and my Kodak.

I am reconsidering DSLR's and FF even as they are about to be ecliped in popularity. I think portability is good. I also think I will hold IQ as the most important aspect pf my personal photography.
-Peter
--
Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow