lets see some high iso from d800

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,783Gear list
Like?
Re: raw vs jpg
In reply to David H Dennis, May 25, 2012

David H Dennis wrote:

In response to those who are not getting quality as good out of the camera ...

It looks like he used quite a bit of post-processing, including noise reduction, to get those shots. This is nothing against Lance, he's obviously a very talented photographer.

Thank you for your nice comment.

But for the sake of equipment evaluation, it would be interesting to see what some of them look like directly out of the camera.

I tend to prefer unprocessed photos, but that's a personal opinion. The only time I have tried processing photos is when I want to push the ISO, for example from 1600 to 3200 for my extreme low light images. I am buying a D4 as the ultimate weapon in this endless battle with inadequate light, but while I'm waiting, I'm still taking pictures with my D300.

What I found out is that there is an enormous difference in pushing RAW data versus JPEG. Once I switched from JPG to RAW my photographs pushed much better and I got far more detail out of them.

I'd love to hear more from people who are genuinely talented at pushing photographs, as I am not. That being said, my sense is that Photoshop is a tool that's every bit as complex as your camera, if not more so. If you are having trouble making your photographs shine, prepare to spend as much time learning Photoshop as you have to to learn a new camera. If not more.

Photography is not a field for people afraid of learning

Hope that helps.

Perhaps Lance could share one of those lion pictures in its original form out of the camera? I think it would help a lot of us learn and understand things better here.

I wish I could as a comparo, but at this stage I have no out of the camera jpegs to compare to my RAW versions.

I do know what you're saying, but I guess that I am showing how well the D800 can be , using the best workflow (that I know of).

D

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow