M9 has no lens correction for 35 Summarit?

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
zigorus
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: M9 has no lens correction for 35 Summarit?
In reply to Olaf Ulrich, May 24, 2012

Olaf Ulrich wrote:

zigorus wrote:

The Summarit-M 35 mm f/2.5 uses the same corrections as the Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4 Asph.

Nonsense!

the evidence—fitting the lens with the automatic lens id detector on brings up the 35mm f/1.4 correction—seems to indicate that you are incorrect in your assessment. that's what I based my statement on.

of course, the camera and lens could be malfunctioning, or the lens coding incorrectly applied. based on the chart at
http://whimster-photography.com/leica_m_lens_codes/index.html

the two lenses should be setting different codes if the coding is properly done. the op can check the coding on his Summarit-M 35 f/2.5 and see if it matches the proper coding for the lens type. if it does, and the camera still brings up lens code #11874 rather than lens code #11643, the camera is malfunctioning and needs to be serviced.

but then again, i just checked my M9. there is no lens code for the Summarit 35 f/2.5, so you cannot set it manually. i don't own one of these lenses so I cannot tell what the camera would set on automatic, but it's quite possible that Leica found the correction for the Summarit is virtually the same as for the 35/1.4 on the M9 and elided the setting for that reason.

z

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow