Do you convert NEF to DNG?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Tom Marshall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Re: No reason to do so
In reply to Just a Photographer, May 24, 2012

Just a Photographer wrote:

I see no reason to convert my files to DNG as long as my NEF / RAW files are still being supported. Only when your RAWs are not supported for whatever reason it becomes time to change to convert them to another format.

Well, I can think of one really good one: your time and effort!

If you're using Nikon Capture to apply image adjustments before converting from NEF to TIF (or JPG, or whatever), how are you going to re-create all those adjustments if all of a sudden NEFs are no longer supported? This would be a daunting task for an entire image library.

If you were employing the use of DNGs, all your image adjustments would reside in each DNG (or as side-cars if you were processing your NEFs in lightroom or ACR).

Personally, I don't worry too much about NEFs not being supported - I keep all my NEFs, but use LR/ACR and the DNG format because I shoot with Nikon/Sony/Panasonic bodies and like the consistency of using one RAW conversion tool for all my images.

I used to use Nikon Capture, but like many, found it too buggy and quirky to deal with.

Tom (Marshall) Heim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow