Do you convert NEF to DNG?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Marshall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690
Like?
Re: No reason to do so
In reply to Just a Photographer, May 24, 2012

Just a Photographer wrote:

I see no reason to convert my files to DNG as long as my NEF / RAW files are still being supported. Only when your RAWs are not supported for whatever reason it becomes time to change to convert them to another format.

Well, I can think of one really good one: your time and effort!

If you're using Nikon Capture to apply image adjustments before converting from NEF to TIF (or JPG, or whatever), how are you going to re-create all those adjustments if all of a sudden NEFs are no longer supported? This would be a daunting task for an entire image library.

If you were employing the use of DNGs, all your image adjustments would reside in each DNG (or as side-cars if you were processing your NEFs in lightroom or ACR).

Personally, I don't worry too much about NEFs not being supported - I keep all my NEFs, but use LR/ACR and the DNG format because I shoot with Nikon/Sony/Panasonic bodies and like the consistency of using one RAW conversion tool for all my images.

I used to use Nikon Capture, but like many, found it too buggy and quirky to deal with.

Tom (Marshall) Heim
http://www.pbase.com/t_heim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow