Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MBRuss
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
NEX-7 not re-focussing in video
May 24, 2012

Hi folks, I just shot some video in the garden with my NEX-7 and the Sigma 30mm. Sure, the Sigma isn't really a video lens, but it was on my camera and I needed to get something quickly. However, it was massively out of focus from start to finish. It didn't even try to focus, then when I stop recording it goes back to its usual habit of constantly maintaining focus!

I tried recording again and the camera got my subject in focus, but then moved it around a bit and the next thing I know it's out of focus again and won't find focus even thoughit easily should be able to. I noticed that I can use the shutter button to attain focus, but it'd be better if it did it automatically.

The only thing I can thhink of, is that I'm in program mode, rather than full auto. Is that why it's not focussing by itself?

Also, the Sigma makes a right racket on video sometimes.

Update Just shot another couple of test videos. The Sigma kinda buzzes the entire time I'm shooting video. Also I put the camera in full Auto mode and it still didn't re-focus properly. Going from a distant subject to a close subject it slowly re-focuses, but going from close to distant it doesn't. Instead, it seems to very slowly get even more out if focus. Then, if I press the shutter button, it focuses straight away. Is this normal?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow