Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,799Gear list
Like?
Yep, I think you have it.....
In reply to LincolnB, May 24, 2012

LincolnB wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

These things are your opinion and you'll never make others fall completely in line with your opinion, any more than I.

Art is opinion.

It's perfectly valid to say that a particular piece or style of art is not good or otherwise it is not to your liking. It is not valid to say it is wrong or incorrect, however. Art can never be wrong or incorrect, but criticism of art certainly can be and often is.

A select subset of photography however is not art and was never intended as art. For example when using photography strictly for documentation such as crime scene photos, there is indeed an optimum exposure. It would either be the exposure that most accurately records the scene as viewed in person or the exposure that retains the most detail.

the "exposure that retains the most detial" is the correct exposure. Now, you can vary from that (e.g. "high key" and "low key") but you have to have a good, compelling, articulable reason for doing so. Usully, it is becuase the scene is beyond the dynamic range of the sensor/film and you have to pick your poison-preserve detai in the highlights (high key) or in the shadows (low key).

Hmmm....maybe I have that backwards.

Anyway, getting back the the instigating issue, Marla2008's photo was overexposed, and did not have a compelling reason for being so. Thus, not "high key".

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow