New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: WHAT is so great about the D7000
In reply to TFergus, May 24, 2012

TFergus wrote:

jeangenie wrote:

TFergus wrote:

jeangenie wrote:

Oh, and to the comment that the D7000 is not 'fully weather sealed' ... I don't know what Nikon's requirement for 'full' sealing is, but I do know that I got a beer spilled on it at a family barbecue, they tried to hose it off before I noticed, and it still works flawlessly.

"Fully weather sealed" is every seam, dial opening and button hole, etc. having rubber gaskets inside to keep water, moisture, sand, dust, anything else.... out.
It is a feature found only in the pro models.
The D7000 is what Nikon calls "weather resistant". Still a nice feature.

'Weather resistant' means that you can get it as wet as you want, but you can't submerge it. At least, that's how most manufacturers use the term. I honestly don't know the difference between that and 'fully sealed' since those cameras aren't supposed to be submersible either.

I've never seen it used "as wet as you want".

"Water-proof" is submersible only under certain conditions and depths, but "water-resistant" usually means it resists the effects of water if it gets wet. Within reason of course.

So I would assume that changing the word "water" for "weather" would be similar. It "resists" the water, sand, dust.

Nikon's words:

"While no particular specification is published regarding water or dust protection, our higher end cameras are designed for professional use and can withstand the rigors of that type of photography. The consumer level models, while built to withstand normal usage, are not as sealed and protected as the higher end models. It does end up being the user's judgment, however, to decide how much exposure their camera can have."

I do know that the D7000 had better sealing than the D80/D90.... but not as much as the D300. That was discussed a lot when it was released.

Regardless, Nikon makes clear the difference between the D7000 and a pro body when it calls one "fully weather sealed" and one "weather resistant".

Personally none of this matters to me. Just responding to the questions.

The strength of the gasketing, and how resistant they are to giving way, generally only matters when there is (A) water pressure, such as when submerged, or (B) when the seals have weakened due to exposure to heat/cold/etc. over time. Anything you own with gaskets will eventually have gaskets that don't work, even if it takes 20 years.

In theory, the amount of water should not matter. If (for the sake of argument) a camera has 50 seals, that camera should be just as likely to get damaged with one wet seal as with all 50 being wet, assuming the seals are all good. This is why I say that, in theory, you can get a weather/water/etc.-sealed camera as wet as you want, provided it doesn't go under.

But different levels of sealing ... since Nikon doesn't even give you any data (nor does anyone else, I don't think), I can only assume that "pro-sealing" means "this camera can maybe be submersed and be okay, or maybe not. We're not sure, so we're not going to tell you."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow