x-pro1 and kids

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,689
Like?
Honest advice...
In reply to southpaw74, May 24, 2012

Well, you are on the X-Pro1 forum, so there's certainly bias. And, I love my XP1, and have taken excellent pictures of my kids (see below). However, kids are not my only subject, and I consider myself a somewhat skilled photographer, and skill is important with the XP1. It's certainly not a "chase kids and snap away" camera, though great kid pictures are possible.

Now, I certainly don't know you, so sorry if this is way off base...but, since you had to sell your last camera set-up for childcare costs, I'm guessing that budget is an issue.

Given the above, my advice is to NOT buy the XP1 and lenses. If I were you, I would buy a used 5D or 5DII, and pair that with a value-oriented prime lens (value=good deal for the money). The prime lens will be important (IMO) for a couple of reasons: (1) faster shutter speeds indoors without a flash; and (2) pleasing DOF which is important for kids shots, I think. I would suggest Sigma 50mm 1.4 for a start. The full frame of the 5D or 5DII will translate into excellent image quality, for what probably is a good price right now on eBay. They also have a nice bright viewfinder, and reasonably fast AF.

(NOTE: I suggest Canon simply because that what I own...you could sub Nikon as well).

Anyway, below are some kid pictures with XP1...

southpaw74 wrote:

hey
in a few weeks im going to buy a new camera.
so heres my top 3
1. x-pro1 35mm
2.d300s with 1.4 prime
3. x100

i'm no pro, just have the love for photos and cameras.

my last camera being a nikon d7000 sigma 85mm, which i had to sell a little while back due to childcare costs.

my shoots would be not much more then my kids.

any of you guys just shoot general family pics with a x-pro1, this is the one i want, i know of the slow focus thing but im not talking sports here, just day to day stuff.

plenty of samples would be great.

cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow