Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
Re: It has its uses
In reply to Vlad S, May 24, 2012

Vlad S wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

a 150mm focal length is not that a great choice IMO

Harold

I agree. No way will I pay that kind of money for a 150mm lens. For me, it's too long for a portrait lens and too short for a tele. So what in the world is it then? For me, and I'm saying for me . . . so don't jump on me on this . . . it's not a good focal length. Like I said, IMHO only

135mm f/2.0 on the FF was one of the classic portrait lenses. I think 75mm f/1.8 is going to have a very similar quality. You just need a bigger distance, but it will have a better ability to isolate the subject then the 45mm. I think the 45 is more appropriate for studio portraits, and the 75 is better for outdoor portraits where you don't want the background to be too distracting.

It is also a perfect FL for court sports, equestrian sports, probably theater stage shots.

Vlad

Was never a focal length I considered helpful. I still like 80 to 100mm (in 35mm terms) for both indoor (studio) and outdoor portraits. Perhaps for what you mentioned . . . court sports etc . . . it might come in handy. I have never attempted this sort of photography. It just goes to show that there IS a use for all focal lengths, just some aren't what I need . . . for now at least.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow