D800 examples from D700 users's perspective (180 2.8, 50 1.8D)

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881
Like?
Re: thanks!
In reply to moving_comfort, May 24, 2012

The kids are great, really having fun with dad playing photographer....being a photographer:> )

I was pretty sure the predictions and rumors early on were grumpy old men resisting change which the D800 represents when so many claimed the camera was a specialty camera for studio and tripod only.

I got one anyway and immediately discovered that the camera is the best point and shoot, casual shooting...or any other image capturing activity camera I have ever touched. Things just turn out well despite conditions, lenses, and hand holding unless really botched up by the user. The DR really shows, your highly backlit images still have lots of smooth tone gradient in the shadows across the faces. That is darned hard for any camera to do. It id not just for large prints, although they are where it shines, many of the its capabilities are seen well in small shots and with low res displays. The metering, AWB, AF tracking, wide DR, low noise, great color, res, tone smoothness....all of it comes out in every snap shot or serious studio shot. It is the easiest camera to use for consistently superior images than I have ever touched. I handed it to my GF and showed her only the shutter release and AF-on. She came back an hour later with really hard to capture shots, along with easy shots, they all were well exposed, in focus, strong backlighting tamed, great color, horrible light source mixture with no color cast, AWB spot on, deep shadows....all the normal situations that impact success of failure with traditional shooting, all seemed to be non-issues with the D800. If ever there was a do-everything camera without a sweat, this has got to be it.

I had a chance to compare shots with my friend's 5Dii in a local pub the other night. After downloading both our images taken in the dark bar into my 17in laptop, he was green with envy. It was not just the obvious differences like res but smoothness of tone in shadows and low light color accuracy....and AF that was right at home in a dark bar.
It is the sort of camera, the likes of which we have not seen before
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow