Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Livio Spallone
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Another D800E focus tale.
May 24, 2012

This afternoon my D800E , sn 600xxx, came back from Nikon service.

The camera had the "standard left autofocus issue" and required mostly negative values to finetune my lenses (mean -7).

Tested using LensAlign and resolution charts.

After reading the posts from European customers I choose to send it to the Central Nikon Service in Germany, Dusseldorf.

First rate service, they were very kind, fast but ONLY PARTIAL SUCCESSFUL.

The camera now requires mostly positive values (mean +6) and the difference among left side sensors and the other groups has been reduced to borderline acceptable values:

left sensors still tend to backfocus but mostly inside the depth of field of a f2.0 - f4.0 aperture.

This means:

14-24 no more a big problem (no perfect sharpness , no evident OOF using leftmost sens.) .

60 micro good, not perfect.

85 1.4 G , mixed problems at 1.4 (difficult to evaluate when every shot give a slight different result), good from 1.8 , 2.0 on.

all the other lenses better but not perfect (the left side backfocus is still present a little using the 500mm Vr)

My opinion :

1.4 lenses and 36mpx stress the limits of actual Nikon autofocus, digLoyd blog shows it very well.

Improved Aptina style (Nikon V1) autofocus is the way to go for next high resolution cameras.

Fixing the "issue" is not trivial, I hope Nikon will come out with specific instruments and procedures to help the service centers. Service results are now unpredictable.

I am keeping my camera, it is not perfect but the issue is tolerable.

Good luck with your D800, D4

Lisperit

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow