High key, shot outdoors? what!

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?
Re: Jere, re posting pics....
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 24, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

They're all nicely done, but they are not even a little high key. Take the first shot, the blonde girl, and give it about two stops more exposure so that her skin starts to merge with the background. Then it would be high key.

I'm not saying it would be better mind, in fact I think it would be less good (I think high key naturally lends itself to glamour rather than portraiture). But it is a different look. What one is trying to do is create a light, ethereal look.

I don't feel the job of the photographer is always to record what is there. Extreme shallow DoF (which you also don't like) and high key are not representational techniques, they are about atmosphere.

I'm glad you've brought it up - looking for high key shots for you, I find it is a technique I barely use. I should use it more. I like it.

Jere Landis wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I've just woken up at 5AM hot and sweaty - the UK does not do Summer well - but before I go back to sleep, I think it is much easier to select "upload to your gallery" above, select the photos on the PC, hit "start upload" and at the end click "add to forum" (or something like that), at which point some lines of text will appear in the message which, when posted, will turn into the photos.

In the meantime I think Kenw has explained the mystery - Jere is using a specific videographer's term for high key (very pale back ground, it sounds like), whereas in still photography it has a wider meaning.

As others have said there is no such thing as a "correct" exposure, it is entirely up to the photographer what effect he wishes to create, and either turning the whole photo very light or alternatively electing to blow a large chunk of it to white is perfectly legitimate and what I would call High Key.

Louis, I have them in my gallery, what now did you say?

Louis, in my part of the world,southern Indiana, most any portrait photographer will tell you that these are high key portraits. It seems that opinions are different in different areas. I do have several friends that are portrait photographers.

I respect you and your opinions but we can differ on them. Please critique the picture of my grandson fishing in my brother's pond and take note of the golden hour and the colored reflections in the water, giving it a painterly quality.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow