Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Re: Isn't that Referenced Library?
In reply to Najinsky, May 24, 2012

Najinsky wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Didn't know that, thanks.

It's a bit of a joke though, my main Library is 275GB, my Vault No.1 is 272GB.

That's strange. My library of referenced masters was about 70GB when I had a lot of large previews and the vault was under 20GB. I was initially concerned and his was how I came to discover the linked support article.

Have you checked inside the vault to see what occupies the space?

I've since split libraries with my best keepers having their own library. My keeper library is 36GB and of that, 34GB is thumbnails.

I'll check inside my vault and post a follow-up.

Okay, I think I've got it.

I just used WhatSize to examine the Library and a freshly made vault.

As above, my keeper library is 36GB and of that, 34GB is thumbnails.

My new vault is 19.5GB, which is larger than was expected.

Within the vault, the thumbnails are 18.3 GB.

The thumbnails are in directories of randomly generated names, but I could tell that the difference is because some of these directories are not stored. The ones that are stored all match fully in both the library and the vault, it's just that some don't get stored.

From this and the support note wording, it seems that thumbnails and previews are backed up for the master, but not for any additional versions you create from that master.

I use Nik for noise reduction, raw pre-sharpening and for Vivezia/Color/Silver FX. So I'm guessing the difference in my vault thumbnail size is due to the thumbnails for these not being stored.

So I think my correction to your comment is wrong, sorry about that!

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow