Super Zoom lens, which one should I get?

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sffire New Member • Posts: 11
Super Zoom lens, which one should I get?

I hope to replace my old Canon 30D with a Canon 60D camera. I am looking at these all purpose lens. I see this Canon 60D kit from Costco for $1250 which includes a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. My other purchasing options is to buy a refurbished Canon 60D and use the rest of the money saved to buy a Tamron 18-270mm or the Sigma 18-200 or 18-250? I understand there are two versions of the Tamron. I am not sure if there are other models of super tele zoom lenes.

I mainly use my camera for family activities. My girls have ballet performances indoors in which I like to photograph. I plan to rent an "L" lens for their nutcracker performances once a year where I would use the 18-200 or 18-270 lens on the Canon 30D for closeups. On the less important performances, I hope to use the 18-200 or 18-270 on the Canon 60D.

I am looking for you help in picking the correct lens for indoor action work and outdoor work. Should I get the kit lens or get a refurbished camera and buy a third party lens. Which third party lens should I get? I am hoping to buy this stuff in the next week or two.

Thank you for your help and advise.

sffire's gear list:sffire's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +1 more
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow