Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: D600 Rumour Update
In reply to bobn2, May 24, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

If the specs are true, I would rather have this than the D800. Less diffraction issues.

A 24MP D600 will have no advantage over the D800 with respect to diffraction, actually in reality a slight disadvantage.
--
Bob

According to Thom Hogan with the D800 diffraction starts affecting the image at F8 and above. Maybe he is wrong, but from reading that it would seem with a 24mp sensor, it wouldn't impact unitil say F11 or higher, which is where I'm usually at with my landscape shooting for maximum depth of field.

Diffraction isn't a sensor issue, and it doesn't suddenly 'start affecting' - at some f-number diffraction takes over from aberration as the main limitation on resolution and the resolution falls from that point, usually between f/4 and f/8 depending on the lens. The pixel count doesn't affect where that point is at all. Nor does the resolution suddenly drop at some f-number according to pixel count and a higher pixel count camera will deliver more resolution at every f-number. So, having fewer pixels does not help with diffraction, all it does is reduce the resolution to the resolution you might have had a some smaller aperture with a lower pixel count camera.
--
Bob

+1 Lots of people have been complaining that higher megapixels will cause more noise, cause more diffraction, cause more motion blur bla bla bla.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow