Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ljmac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,915
Like?
Oly's Micro Lens Strategy Is A Mess!
May 24, 2012

The best thing about the original 4/3rds was the lenses - not just the optical quality, but also the way they covered all the necessary zoom ranges and quality levels in a consistent and efficient way.

By comparison, their Micro strategy is an absolute mess. Just look at the new 75 mm, for example: reputedly their highest quality optic (with a price to match), it doesn't have weather sealing, and it's only available in silver, so it looks completely out of place on a black body. Their next highest quality lens (the 45 mm) isn't sealed either, is also only available in silver, and is made from plastic. Their next most expensive lens (the 12 mm) is metal, but isn't sealed and only available in silver too.

In fact, their only weather sealed lens (and also available in black) is the 12-50, which is perhaps the most optically mediocre lens Oly has ever made.

After having supported 4/3rds in the past on the basis that Oly made the best lenses, I find it ironic that I will almost certainly be using Panasonic zooms exclusively on Micro (for me primes are too much fuss and bother), except perhaps for using the 12-50 for video. Which is another irony: using an Oly lens in Panny's traditional area of strength!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow