Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,820Gear list
Like?
Re: How to get 400mm f/2.8 for $300
In reply to IcyVeins, May 24, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

HobbiesAreFun wrote:

You make it sound as if there's no image quality loss when you use clear zoom. For one, you can't make a raw file from it as far as I know. Not only that, but all it does is crop and then upres the file. You can do that yourself too in PP.

Wrong. This isn't just your run-of-the-mill digital zoom, it accesses a database of thousands of existing patterns that allow it to actually add detail and effectively increase resolution while zooming in. Obviously you can't do that in PP just by upresing.There are plenty of samples available if you would like to see for yourself instead of speaking from a position of ignorance. Of course it is not an exact replacement for optical zoom and there will be "some" loss of image quality, but as I expect the starting IQ at 85mm f/2.8 is excellent in the center as with most prime lenses, the cropping and use of ClearZoom should allow it to still remain "very good" at the 400mm equivalent.

Wrong again. It can be achieved through resizing and no database in the world can add detail that isn't there in the first place. I have seen several examples and it looks exactly the same as cropping and resizing. Calling someone else "ignorant" is insulting and your assertions make you look rather ignorant. Go ahead and live in your fantasy world of cheep zooms if you wish. The rest of us know the truth. The resizing logarithms used in software are complex and taken years to develop.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow