AP Review X-Pro v M9 v Nex-7

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Geoffrey Kitt
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: AP Review X-Pro v M9 v Nex-7
In reply to PG Thomas, May 24, 2012

PG Thomas wrote:

The review really compared the NEX-7 and the X-Pro1 to the M9.

'In many ways the X-Pro1 is actualy better, and significantly less expensive" (than the M9).

Overall the Fuji came out top in this comparison.

My M9's grip on its place in my camera bag is starting to look a little less secure.

I bought the X-Pro 1 initially to use with my Leica M-bayonet lenses but I have been really impressed by the quality of the Fuji glass. I'd say that the quality of the 35mm is close to that of my Leica 35mm Summilux. And of course it autofocuses too!! However, the performance of the X-Pro 1 with my Kipon adapter and wide angle Leica lenses is not as good as I would like due to corner softness (except with the WATE which is fine - go figure!!).

I don't see how Fuji are going to fix this wide angle corner softness with their adapter because it is an optical issue caused by the angle of light rays at the periphery of the sensor. Leica (with the M9) and Ricoh (with the GXR) solve this problem with angled microlenses but clearly this can't be accomplished with an adapter which doesn't incorporate a lens.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Fuji come up with. The future of my M9 is in the balance .......

Geoffrey Kitt's gear list:Geoffrey Kitt's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS 100D Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow