New D600 rumor update - with focus motor, 39pt AF and 24.7MP

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,777Gear list
Like?
Strange
In reply to Ilkka Nissilä, May 24, 2012

Do you have an explanation why focus performance was reduced with lens wide-open? Focus is attained before aperture is set for shot. 10% looks awfully poor, I have used mine with the 35mm f/2 wide open w/o any issues. I don't have a fast tele.

Ilkka Nissilä wrote:

With fast lenses, e.g. the 200/2 the D7000 AF system performs poorly, with 10% in-focus rate at f/2 in similar situations to where D3/D3X/D700 give 80%-90% in focus results . I think the positive reports of AF on the D7000 are from people who use more mainstream lenses (f/2.8 zooms, etc.) and/or stop down to f/4 or f/5.6. I was even told flat out that I was using the camera incorrectly when I used the 70-200II wide open at f/2.8 (the optical performance was fine, but focusing results were erratic) ... that I should have increased ISO and stopped down. To me this advice is fine if the lens cannot perform well wide open but that wasn't the case. The autofocus should be on par with the wide aperture performance of the lens. Anyway, I needed the shallow DOF and get it when I use my FX cameras with appropriate lenses, both AF and optical performance are fine at f/2.8.

It is also possible that my D7000 (and many others who report similar findings on fast primes and the D7000 on these forums) was not performing as well as it should have due to manufacturing errors, but I think it's a design flaw, not manufacturing related. The AF was spot on when I tested it with focus target but in real-world use it jittered around like it had the hiccups. At f/4-f/5.6 of course the AF was fine, but to me that's a small aperture. What's the point of paying for f/2 and f/1.4 glass if I cannot get the image in focus. So I'm back at all FX now, and very happy with the AF (on most lenses; still there are a few screwdriver lenses which have sloppy AF such as the 180/2.8, 135/2 etc. but that's not really a fault of the camera but the mechanism).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow