Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
J Mankila
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,234
Like?
Too bad...
In reply to Dominique Dierick, May 24, 2012

Thank you!

Dominique Dierick wrote:

I think it is an acceptable IR performance only. With high ISO, you could freeze motion a bit, but you need days without too much wind ;). Luckily the high ISO is good

I've done a bit of IR with my earlier body, the D70, which actually had a problem with some IR leaking onto ordinary photos. Some black fabrics would look quite spacey. But it also meant it was great for IR - you take some you lose some.

Now for long exposure H-Alpha, I wouldn't expect miracles. I obtain a 5 stop difference between the D800 and a modified clear glass 450D in IR. Which means for H-alpha likely a similar magnitude. You would need to pose a long time... Not the ideal tool for this. In color, you will get the H-alpha regions, but the vivid reds will rather be bleak and more magenta than red, as with all non modified DSLRs. Posing longer with fast lenses might help a bit there.....

OK, it sounds like it'll be better to stay within the visible spectrum, then. But thanks for giving a sense of scale of what's to be expected. Without the gear and experience this is all guesswork to me.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow