Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
barjohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
LR 4.1 RC2 vs Cpature One and Apeture for EM-5 RAW
May 24, 2012

LR 4.1 was the first RAW processing software available for the EM-5 and I was happy to get it. Until the others added the EM-5 conversion they couldn't be compared. I have always been a fan of LR as it is generally easy to use, intuitive and produces very good results, if not always the best results. I was doing testing between my X100 and the EM-5 looking at resolution and sharpness and I kept noticing a slightly grainy appearance in the EM-5 photos like noise. However, I was using ISO 200 shots taken in good light and the same thing was not visible in the JPGs. I added a little noise reduction to smooth it out and the images were still very good but it concerned me that I was seeing noise at ISO 200. Then C1 added the EM-5 support and low and behold the graininess was gone with no noise reduction. Now Aperture added support so I took a try in Aperture and like C1, super clean conversion. As a result I am beginning to think it is a LR 4.1 RC2 issue and not the camera. Anyone else notice the same thing? If so, any idea why? If it is a LR problem, I hope they fix it before they release the final product. I also noticed the RC version is substantially slower which I attribute to the beta code having debugging code embedded.

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
http://www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Leica T Sony Alpha 7 II
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow