Sigma go towards a niche 'purist' type camera.

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,993Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma go towards a niche 'purist' type camera.
In reply to detectorman, May 24, 2012

detectorman wrote:

The steppers in most foundries are limited to about 22 mm on a side. In the infrared community we stitch together multiple exposures to make very large chips. The same is done for very large visible chips--mostly for government programs. Commercial foundries, including both CCD, CMOS, and bi-CMOS can do this--it does cost more for both the additional masks and the process time exposing multiple fields.

I agree that Sigma is most likely to iterate the current design over the next few years rather than make another major design change.

Not only this, to go bigger than APS-C would entail redesigning the entire optical chain (mirror box, focal plane shutter, focus control instrumentation, exposure control instrumentation etc. Too expensive for Sigma, I think, since their only full-frame stuff is from the film camera days.

Seems to me that the trend is toward the smaller sensors. Maybe a micro-4/3 Sigma mirrorless?
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow